- Greater Michigan Construction Academy (GMCA) along with area businesses is launching a new program to introduce high school students to careers in construction. The program organized by GMCA runs for 10 weeks and meets Tuesdays from 3:30 – 5:30 pm at no cost to students participating. Throughout the Jump Start Program students will visit various construction companies for tours and learn how their business runs and what the skilled trades mean for their employees. They will also take part in hands-on projects at the GMCA facility constructing benches for the Origami Traumatic Brain Injury Rehabilitation Center. These projects will not only benefit the program participants but the community as well
The goal of the program is to:
• Help young people become productive, successful citizens by learning about construction skilled trades from mentors
• Build quality lives for young people through community involvement
• Instill the fundamental values of respect, empowerment, dedication and responsibility
• Provide mentoring, job shadowing, apprenticeships, weekly learning sessions, community service projects and much more!
Six area businesses are also getting involved and opening up their doors to educate young people and impress on them the
importance of a good education and what a career in the skilled trades can mean for them. Businesses participating are ASHA,
Parish Corporation, AIS, A/C Electric, Clark Foundation, and North Winds Heating & Cooling. We thank them for their support! “We are excited to launch this program and open doors for students in areas they might not be aware exist.” says Michelle Revette, Vice President, Associated Builders and Contractors Greater Michigan Chapter.
Participants must be between the ages of 13 and 18 (must provide own transportation), Currently enrolled in school or actively working toward a GED and Committed to setting goals, learning new skills, completing community projects and attending weekly learning sessions
If you are interested in registering for this FREE program please contact Kris Henderson at (517) 394-4481 firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our academy web site at www.gmcacademy.org